Stuffing is a traditional staple at holiday meals that is customizable according to the requirements of your diet regimen. Rather than incorporating refined white bread, try a whole-grain alternative for the HCG diet. Whole grains are a great source of fiber, which helps digestion and boost weight loss.
Ingredients for the cornbread:
- ¾ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of frozen corn kernels, softened and mashed
For the stuffing:
- 1 cup of diced leeks
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 2 sliced large carrots
- 2 diced stalks of celery
- 2 teaspoons of thyme
- 2 teaspoons of rosemary
- 2 teaspoons of sage
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the almond milk, maple syrup, applesauce, and egg whites together.
- Sift in cornmeal, baking soda, oat flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir until all the ingredients are well-incorporated, and then mix in the pureed corn. Bake for about 20 minutes using a baking dish.
- Stir-fry the leeks with salt on medium heat, adding tablespoons of chicken broth as needed.
- Add celery and carrots, and continue stirring until soft. Sprinkle in the thyme, sage, and rosemary.
- Crumble the cornbread, and mix in the remaining broth to reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for fifteen minutes to crisp the top.